PADDLING SCHOOL MANAGER
Early Feb, 2018
Fall 2018 or ongoing
Ecomarine is Vancouver’s full service paddlesport expert. Our world class paddling school helps thousands of people connect with the water at our two waterfront locations and select locations around the lower mainland. The School Manager will play a critical role in by leading a team that delivers hundreds of kayak and stand up paddleboard lessons, tours and private programs.
School Manager will oversee recruitment and training for instructor and guides, as well as scheduling, mentoring and supervision of the team throughout our busy summer season (May – September). The school manager will work closely with our sales department to ensure that we have adequate staffing for program requests. School manager will also act as a Senior Instructor, ideally being able to teach most of Ecomarine’s sea kayak programs. An interest and experience in Stand up Paddleboarding is also an asset.
- An engaging leader who is able to recruit, inspire and effectively manage a team of both new seasonal and veteran returning instructors and guides.
- Friendly, professional, and highly organized
- Familiar with Paddle Canada, Sea Kayak and Stand Up Paddleboard instructing and guiding
- Passionate about risk management, effective training and staff development
- Recruit, train and develop our instructor team to be the best instructors and guides possible.
- Schedule instructors and guides and ensure changes are communicated to the team.
- Plan and execute instructor and guide training in conjunction with Director of Operations; including training trip, meetings, sessions and ongoing work with instructors.
- To ensure our programming has the best and most up to date content being delivered with fun, safe and educational methods.
- Evaluate instructors and briefing them on their performance using coaching and feedback tools.
- To make sure we have the right equipment ready to go for appropriate programs. Maintenance needs are communicated to appropriate people.
- Maintain regular contact with the Director of Operations regarding about programming, instructor progress, facilities, equipment needs and other topics of concern to the school.
- Model behaviour and attitudes expected from the instructor team as well as acting as a resource and mentor for junior instructors.
- Leading programs according to Ecomarine and Paddle Canada outlines and risk management policies.
- Ensuring all required program reporting and paperwork is completed.
- Review and update Course Guidelines
- Create and implement new programs
- Organize and implement staff continued education and social events
- Capturing the experience of our programs and posting or sending content for Ecomarine social media and marketing channels
- Assisting with program development in the planning sessions
- Assist with other program logistics and reporting, as needed
- Passion and experience in sea kayaking (ideally also stand up paddleboarding)
- Excellent in person and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate a team
- Must work well with deadlines, details and managing a dynamic work environment; highly organized
- Creative self-starter, able to take initiative and deliver on time
- Proven verbal and written communication skills, with ability to clearly and respectfully articulate your thoughts
- Flexibility, interpersonal skills, and enthusiasm are key to success in this position
- Love working with people and being outside
- Have or willing to obtain a minimum:
- Paddle Canada Level 1 Sea Kayak Instructor certification (ideally Level 2 Instructor)
- First Aid and CPR training, as required by Paddle Canada
- (opportunities to achieve some kayak certifications are available through Ecomarine each spring; however, significant paddling experience is a pre-requisite)
- Valid driver’s license required (No need to own a car but will have to drive Ecomarine vehicle)
- Working with an excellent team of paddling and outdoor enthusiasts
- Advancing your management skills with coaching and feedback
- Advancing your paddling and program delivery skills with some of Vancouver's best paddlers through workshops, courses, training and mentoring
- Access to kayaks, boards and equipment for personal use
- Staff paddling trips, parties and other events
- Discounted gear through Employee Purchase Program
- Outdoor work in two of the best waterfront locations in Vancouver
Hours and compensation:
Position is expected to start in early February with limited part-time hours in Feb, March and building to full time from mid April to mid September, part-time hours may be available beyond September. Weekend and evening work will be required in the summer season.
Applications are due by Jan 1st, 2018 at 9:00pm, but early applications are encouraged!