SKIPPER/CAPTAIN, SAILING TOURS
Skipper/Captain for Sailing Tour Operator
Position: Captain on commercial Nature Tour Sailing Vessel
Hours: Shift work
Season: March - October with possible winter maintenance
Areas of Operation: Based in North Vancouver and operating British Columbia North and South East Alaska Coast.
The Ideal Candidate
If you spend your days on the ocean sailing or boating; have a mechanical aptitude; an extensive knowledge of the BC coast; and have worked in outdoor education, you would make a great addition to our crew. We are looking for someone that is not only experienced but truly enjoys communicating their enthusiasm for the coast to guests.
Bluewater Adventures is a well-established, small, adventure tour company based out of North Vancouver. Since 1974, Bluewater has pioneered quality wilderness and wildlife eco-adventures in British Columbia and Alaska. Our season runs from March through October and the trips are 5 to 11 days in duration. Trips focus on whale-watching, bear viewing and visits to ancient First Nations villages in Haida Gwaii, the Great Bear Rainforest, Northern Vancouver Island, the Khutzeymateen, and Southeast Alaska.
As an award-winning Green Tourism company, we continue to build on our eco-initiatives. Bluewater Adventures has been offering carbon neutral departures since 2007, and we are a member of 1% For the Planet. We advocate sustainable tourism practices and work to protect and preserve the areas that we visit including the wildlife and First Nations communities that live there.
In 2018, we are expanding our fleet of two 68’ ketches with a custom build 82’ CSI motor-sailor vessel.
Job Description & Responsibilities:
Operation and navigation of the ship
- Conduct operations in a professional, confidence building style at all times.
- Ensure the safety and comfort of passengers in all operations. Discuss emergency protocols. Be prepared to direct any emergency situation 24 hours a day.
- Review safety systems with crew: With incoming crew practice emergency scenarios.
- Teaching and involving guests in boat handling activities.
- Creation of itinerary for trip based upon safety, crew experience and ability, weather, tides, group preferences, published Bluewater descriptions, running condition of the vessel.
Team work and crew coordination
- Foster a sense of teamwork amongst the crew, support learning of additional skills. Plan short daily crew meetings, or if not possible make sure there is constant communication with all crew on plans, timing, changes or operational issues.
- Assist other crew as appropriate with cooking, cleaning and program activities.
General ships maintenance
- Conduct daily inspections of machinery and vessel systems. Use checklists for main engine, generator, bilge spaces. Perform repairs as soon as possible.
- Work with crew to fix issues as they arise and maintain the vessel. Supervise crew on ongoing maintenance carried out during trips.
Required Qualifications & Certifications
- Transport Canada 150-ton Master’s certificate
To be Obtained
- 20 Hours Wilderness First Aid
- Commercial Bear Viewing Association Full or Assistant Bear Guide
- Extensive experience of the British Columbia coast – from Victoria to Prince Rupert including Haida Gwaii
- Mechanical experience and aptitude
- Sailing experience on larger vessels and familiar with all operations: setting sails, docking, anchoring, raising anchor, mooring, and the operation of a windlass.
- Experience handling zodiacs and kayaks
- Interest and knowledge of wildlife, conservation and coastal history
- Tourism and Hospitality experience
Please send your Cover Letter and Resume by clicking on the Apply Now button below.
APPLY NOW - SKIPPER/CAPTAIN, SAILING TOURS - BLUEWATER ADVENTURES